Monday, April 14, 2008

Transcript: Tom Butcher Levittown Resident

Tom: Levittown Resident

AMANDA: (0:00:00) What do you think about the green Levittown initiatives, as a resident?

TOM: (0:06:18) I think it’s good, it’s not that inconvenient either. There’s recycling every Thursday. And basically all you have to do is get your plastics, glasses and stuff like that out and tie up your papers and put them in paper bags. So it’s a good thing.

AMANDA: (0:21:16) What about some of the other programs they are offering, like special discounts on things?

TOM: (0:27:14) I think that’s a big key because I think they have to give people, some people the reason to recycle unfortunately because some people just need that little push to get them going. So if they find out you can get a discount if you switch to star dishwashers or something like that, then I think that’s a good thing.

AMANDA: (0:46:27) So how aware do you feel the community is about all these initiatives including the recycling stuff?

TOM: (0:54:11) It seems to be that they are doing a big push in the media. I’ve seen it in a couple of local papers; I’ve seen it on the news. I even had a company come to my door, going door to door letting people know about the program and giving them more information if they wanted. So I think they’re letting people know about it, which is good.

AMANDA: (1:12:01) If the plan included maybe like raising taxes, do you think it would be different?

TOM: (1:18:25) Yes that could be a problem. Especially Levittown, Nassau is one of the highest taxed counties in the country so that would not be a good thing. I think it should be the other way around where you get tax breaks the more you recycle.

AMANDA: (1:31:08) Now a lot these things you could buy, like the energy star appliances, or you know re-fixing your home so it’s more insulated and stuff. A lot of these things are more expensive upfront but people say they are worth it in the long wrong. Do you think that’s.. a lot of people might not pay for things upfront because of how the economy is now?

TOM: (1:51:03) I think that could be a problem right now. I’m definitely in that situation myself. I keep getting offers on a new oil burner that’s much more efficient and more green so to speak and I can’t afford to do it right now so that might be an issue right now.

AMANDA: (2:05:16) And about the recycling stuff, how important do you feel it is that everyone recycles?

TOM: (2:10:25) I think it’s important because it’s not a big deal. I’m not a you know a major god let’s save the environment person. To me I find it not a big deal to just put my stuff in the recycle box instead of the garbage can so it’s not a big deal to recycle and I think everyone should.

AMANDA: (2:26:20) How do you see Levittown in like ten years from now?

TOM: (2:33:26) Hopefully there will be some more changes in it. I think like I said right now we wont see much of a change because of money being so tight and especially with the amount of taxes everyone in Levittown has to pay. But when things get better I think you’ll see a lot more changes with the people and the houses will definitely be going more green.

AMANDA: (2:50:17) And do you think that this initiative that Levittown is doing will spark other initiative around Long Island as well as in the country?

TOM: (2:58:02) Yea I do. I think other towns are going to catch on the bandwagon of going green. And they want to say hey we want to get in on that too and look good. Especially when you got politicians involved they want to say hey let’s look good. So I think it’s going to spread.

No comments: